Provide support to the warfighter, conserve resources, and enhance readiness by anticipating, recognizing, evaluating and controlling health hazards where military and civilian personnel work and serve.
Defense Occupational and Environmental Health Readiness System (DOEHRS-IH) Database Management
Industrial Hygienists (IH) gather worker exposure information during workplace evaluations and enter it into the DOEHRS-IH database which can be analyzed and utilized by Environmental, Safety and Occupational Health practitioners to prioritize preventive medicine actions.
- Conducts workplace surveys to evaluate occupational hazards and controls, and make recommendations for correction or inclusion in medical surveillance programs. Evaluations include potential hazards in the areas of hearing, vision, airborne contaminants, ergonomics, medical, hazard communication (HAZCOM), respiratory protection, personal protective equipment (PPE), asbestos management, lead management, radiation, and confined space entry.
- Collects air, noise and ventilation measurements using calibrated sampling equipment to characterize workplace exposures, assess risk and develop a control plan.
Respiratory Protection Program
- Evaluates workplaces to determine respiratory protection requirements.
- Assists respiratory protection specialists with evaluating respiratory programs and training.
- Conducts respirator fit tests for medical personnel.
Respirator fit tests are conducted by appointment.
Medical personnel contact IH office at 757-314-7781 to schedule a fit test.
All other personnel contact Installation Safety Office at 757-501-8226 to schedule a fit test.
Indoor Air/Environmental Quality
- Evaluates workplaces to assess indoor air and environmental quality (IAQ/IEQ) by identifying the source, assessing ventilation, acoustics, lighting, and other other safety and comfort issues and then makes determinations of possible feasible solutions to resolve concerns.
Contact IH office at 757-314-7781 to schedule a workplace evaluation.
- Reviews projects at the earliest stages for proposed new systems and modifications to ensure the project design meets applicable federal, authoritative, and local design criteria and specifications.
Contact IH office at 757-314-7781 to schedule a design review.