MHS GENESIS is Here!
The Department of Defense’s new electronic health record (EHR), MHS GENESIS, has launched at McDonald Army Health Center, AFMS 633 Medical Group, and Naval Medical Center Portsmouth and outlying clinics. MHS GENESIS Patient Portal is the new access to your electronic health record (EHR) replacing TRICARE Online at our facility.
What is MHS GENESIS?
MHS GENESIS is the new electronic health record for the Military Health System (MHS). It integrates inpatient and outpatient electronic health records across the continuum of care from the point of injury to the military treatment facility. MHS GENESIS is integral in the provision and coordination of safe, quality care. MHS GENESIS allows you to securely access your electronic health records 24/7 and exchange messages with your military health care team when and where it’s convenient for your schedule. McDonald Army Health Center (MCAHC) and all DHA Tidewater Market medical facilities will transition to MHS GENESIS on January 21, 2023. >>Learn More about MHS GENESIS
What is the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
Along with the new EHR, the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal is a secure website available 24/7 that gives you access to your health information. Through the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, you can:
- Schedule appointments
- Communicate securely with care team
- View health information, including laboratory and radiology results
- Complete intake and screening forms in advance of appointments
What does this mean for me?
MHS GENESIS and the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal are replacing TRICARE Online, including the patient portal and secure messaging at all DHA Tidewater Market facilities.
- If you have a current TRICARE Online account, it will migrate to MHS GENESIS on 21 January 2023. No action is necessary from you.
- If you don’t already have a TRICARE Online account, you can log onto patientportal.mhsgenesis.health.mil using your DS Logon Account.
- If don’t have a DS Logon Account or if you have questions about DS Logon, visit the milConnect Website or call 1-800-538-9552.
- If you have any issues within your Patient Portal, please contact the Global Service Center (GSC) at 1-800-600-9332
What happens next?
- Appointment availability will be impacted for the next several months beginning in January.
- Appointment times and ancillary services wait times (Pharmacy, Laboratory, and Radiology) may increase as our healthcare staff adjust to this new system.
- We appreciate your patience and understanding as we deploy MHS GENESIS in order to provide you with world-class care.
What other healthcare options are available to me during this transition?
What are my options to minimize pharmacy wait times?
- Activate your NEW or RENEWED prescription (this system is not applicable to refills) from anywhere (home, work, or anywhere) using Q Anywhere
- Scan the QR Code or text "Get in line" to 833-429-6527 for same day prescription pick-up at the MCAHC Main Pharmacy(Follow the prompts exactly)
- Refill prescriptions as early as possible up to 21-days on a 90-day supply.
- MCAHC Refill Pharmacy line 757-953-2500
- Register for TRICARE Mail Order Pharmacy to have your prescription(s) delivered to your home (https://militaryrx.express-scripts.com/) copay incurred.
- Request to have provider send prescriptions to a retail pharmacy( copay incurred)
Select below for updated information on the Pharmacy Process Changes at McDonald to include Q-Anywhere:
How do I refill my prescriptions after January 19, 2023?
To activate prescription refills, patients must call the MCAHC Refill Pharmacy line 757-953-2500 following the prompts. However, if your current prescription has run out of refills, you can contact your prescriber through the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal
to request a renewal.
How can I get behavioral health counseling during the MHS GENESIS transition if appointments are affected?
TELEMYND offers behavioral health services, psychology, and psychiatry (Medicine Assisted Treatment, Substance Use Disorder and Applied Behavioral Analysis services are (EXCLUDED).
TELEMEDICINE is available 24/7 with Doctor On Demand. Connect face-to-face with providers through video on your smartphone, tablet or computer using Doctor On Demand. They offer urgent care and behavioral health, psychology, and psychiatry services.
Through the new MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, can I…
Yes. Any laboratory and radiology results, appointment notes, referrals, and future appointments placed after the MHS GENESIS Go-Live on January 23, 2023 will be available to view in the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal. Any health records presently available in the TRICARE Online Patient Portal will remain for viewing in the TRICARE Online Patient Portal. Keep hard copies of your referrals as a reference.
- Send a message to my healthcare provider?
Yes. Through the messaging tab on the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, patients may send and receive messages with their healthcare providers. Of note, patients will need to know the name of their provider in order to send him/her a message.
No. Patients will need to contact the Hampton Roads Appointment Center (866-645-4584)
- Activate a refill of my prescription?
No. Unlike with TRICARE Online, patients are NOT able to activate prescription refills through the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal. However, patients may contact their provider through the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal to request prescription renewals (new prescription for the same medication and dose).
What do I do when I can’t get access to my patient portal?
- For technical issues, the DHA has 24-hour support center through the Global Service Center (GSC) at 1-800-600-9332 or DSN 312-838-3000 ready to assist. Online assistance such as chat and email is also available for Common Access Card (CAC) holders at the GSC portal at https://dashboard-gsc.health.mil/Portal/Contacts
What impact will MHS GENESIS have on wait times?
- When a site transitions to MHS GENESIS, providers and patients can expect to see a short-term increase in wait times as health care teams adapt office and clinic practices to new, standardized workflows. Based on industry averages and DoD’s experience halfway through deployment, it takes roughly 90 days for health care teams to adjust to new MHS GENESIS workflows and return to normal wait times. Over time, providers and patients will see increased efficiencies across all health care activities.